Friday, July 21, 2006

Me? Yes, but God? No

This is what the LORD says:
"Cursed is the one who trusts in man,
who depends on flesh for his strength
and whose heart turns away from the LORD.

6 He will be like a bush in the wastelands;
he will not see prosperity when it comes.
He will dwell in the parched places of the desert,
in a salt land where no one lives.


That's from Jeremiah chapter 17. I thought, how horrible for those who do that...It's just too bad for them. I mean, Not even seeing prosperity when it comes... I sure didn't want to be in that person's situation. The following came after those verses:

7 "But blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD,
whose confidence is in him.

8 He will be like a tree planted by the water
that sends out its roots by the stream.
It does not fear when heat comes;
its leaves are always green.
It has no worries in a year of drought
and never fails to bear fruit."


Ah, anyone who trusts in the Lord will never have to worry even when things seem really bad. Anyone who trusts in the Lord will never fail to bear fruit or please God. Well, that sure sounded a lot better didn't it? So all I needed to do was to put my trust in the Lord...Simple....or was it really that simple? Well, the answer was in the next verses:

9 The heart is deceitful above all things
and beyond cure.
Who can understand it?


Heeyy...come to think of it, I've actually been the person who "Cursed is the one who trusts in man, who depends on flesh for his strength" many times in my life. Trusting in my own strength or other people to bring me happiness and security. What's worse is that I realized, I've sadly also gone over to someone "...whose heart turns away from the LORD."

Yes, the heart is deceitful. Making you think that you're not one who is at fault. The first thing that comes to mind and heart is that defensive feeling of "not me". When in fact, many times it has been very "me". And in those times, I really can say, "It's just too bad for me". If I can be deceived by my heart, who else can keep me from being the person who trusts in man?

...Well, you got it. It's in the next verses:

"I the LORD search the heart
and examine the mind,
to reward a man according to his conduct,
according to what his deeds deserve."


I cannot trust my heart to tell me to do the right thing. I can be deceived by my heart but God can't. I can't trust my strength, but I can trust His. What's more is that I just simple don't know everything, but He does. I can't control the world no matter how badly I wanted to, but He can stop space and time if He wanted to. I can't become the person who trusts in the Lord and have confidence in Him if it were not for Him, by His power, by His will, and by His means. I believe this too was what Jeremiah felt at that time when he said,

14 Heal me, O LORD, and I will be healed;
save me and I will be saved,
for you are the one I praise.



I cannot, but God can.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]